We now have the Early Day Motion (EDM) – EDM 1004 that we want MP’s to sign. This EDM is tabling a motion against the Social Security Benefit Uprating Regulations which is the measure that the government uses to freeze our pensions each year in March for another year. This EDM has been raised by the Leader of the Opposition, Jeremy Corbyn. But there is still a lot of work to do to promote the motion on a cross party basis. Building awareness and support is essential if Labour are to have any chance of securing time for a debate on their motion, or, even better, a government concession. (Anything is possible in a hung parliament!).
By signing this EDM, MP’s are praying (trying to annul) against the Statutory Instrument (SI) that freezes our State Pension increase. If we have something like 300 signatures, then this will force a full debate in Parliament which we hope would lead to a vote. Please, please contact the MP of the Constituency in which you last lived in when you lived in the UK by writing/emailing/posting to their Facebook Account/tweeting to their Twitter Account or all four – this is so very important, so, please do this TODAY. We know from our previous campaigns that when we all write, our message does get through.
Please take a few minutes to send a letter/email to any MP with whose constituency you have a personal connection (i.e. places you have previously lived or places where you still have family).
In your correspondence, we advise:
• Setting out your historic constituency link, and write and tell them that you are writing to them on a Parliamentary issue rather than a Constituency one.
• Sharing your own experience as a frozen pensioner and that of others you know.
• Explain why you think that pension freezing is wrong.
• Welcome the fact that the government has recently announced new commitment to continue to up-rate the state pensions of recipients in the EU after Brexit, but make the point that it is surely then wrong to discriminate between those who reside in Europe and those who live in the rest of the world – “Why them and not us?”. It is time for a fair solution for all overseas recipients.
• Ask them to demonstrate their support for you and for other frozen pensioners by adding their name to the “Prayer against the Social Security Benefits Up-rating Regulations”, which is formally tabled as “EDM 1004”.
If you need help to find the name or contact details for any MPs then please see our helpful spreadsheet below.
Thank you once again for your assistance with this campaign.
With best wishes
Former Chair, International Consortium of British Pensioners